Thursday, September 13, 2012

From out of now where...an update!

So it's been a while since I've written here, but ever since I've started writing fiction again it was only a matter of time.

Speaking of which, what I've been writing lately is a novel. It's not the first one I've ever started, but with any luck it will be the first one I finish. Unlike a lot of other times, I actually have a incentive to finish. Specifically Harper Voyager is actually going to be taking unsolicited submissions for e-books in October.

Now I'll admit that I will be pleasantly surprised if I get accepted. For one, I'm a little rusty at fiction writing. For another, I don't have any finished manuscripts so this project will realistically be my only submission. A goal does do wonders to focus a project though, so I'm keeping my moral high.

Of course now that I have an end goal, I need to know just how far along I am. The submission guidelines ask for a manuscript that is 80,000-120,000 words, which seems reasonable (though I don't have a good example handy for comparison. Totally up all the words I've wrote up so far (which requires me to dump everything into one document, since I've been saving chapters in separate files) I am up to 10,000 words.

The doesn't seems like a lot, but since I've not even at the quarter mark of my plot that is perfectly fine with me. I'm also allowing for the fact this is a first draft and that is a good chance when I go over it again I'll beef up some sections that aren't as good as I remember them being when I wrote them at two o'clock in the morning (funny how that happens).

In any case, I hope this a sign of good things to come to this largely ignored blog. I hope to actually make some posts about comics, video games, books, or whatever stuff I've been enjoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment