Friday, October 16, 2009

Games I'm Playing: The Plague-Born Edition, or how I learned to stop worrying and love the Dark World

Well this is somewhat awkward. I make a big show about how I'm going to give gaming snapshots every week, and then I go and mess things up by playing practically no games the following week.

There are many things I could blame this on, but the most appropriate target would be the fact I was sick for the better part of the week.  While I was never sick to the point I stayed the whole day in bed (the fact I'm only working temp being a contributing factor), I was sick to the point I had trouble gathering enough focus to write.  In between the time I spent coughing up lungs and feeling generally miserable, I did have time to play one game...


The one everyone but me likes

In that past I've been rather...unkind to this game, to put it mildly (link to come when I can actually find it).  The reasons for my dislike are long and complex, so I won't go into detail with them right now. Instead I will give the highly-abridged-but-concise version: I was being dumb.  Really dumb.  In fact, I was being so dumb, I made the Zelda CDi games seem like a good idea.



I'm not sure what was worse, that joke or this image.

My dumbness wasn't apparent to me until recently, which prompted me to go back and play the game in order to exactly quantify how dumb I was being about it.  Currently I'm ranking in at approximately 15 giga-dumbs, but that number could easily climb before I reach the end of the game.

Self-deprecation aside, I've actually been enjoying the game a great deal.  For the first time I've been able to appreciate Link to the Past for what it is, instead of some internally warped perception of what it should be.  The game still isn't perfect in my eyes, but I can understand now why some many people like it.

I'll probably talk about the game more at length later, but for now let it be known that I'm sorry that I once hated this game.



But Link's Awakening is still better!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment